This prime rib roast is a perfect Weekend dinner, with leftovers for sandwiches.
For making Rib:-
- 15 Dried Bay Leaves, Crumbled
- 1/3 Cup Coarsely Chopped Fresh Sage Leaves, Plus Several Whole Leaves, For Garnish
- 1/3 Cup Finely Grated Orange Zest (2 To 3 Oranges)
- 1 1/2 To 2 Teaspoons Coarse Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
For making Roast:-
- 1 Three-Rib Prime Rib of Beef (About 7 Pounds), Trimmed And Frenched
To make this:-
- Stir together crumbled bay leaves, sage, orange zest, salt, pepper and the oil in a mortar and pestle. Rub herb mixture all over the beef, coating evenly. Refrigerate, covered, overnight or up to 1 day. About 3 hours before you plan to cook the beef, remove it from the refrigerator. Place beef, fat side up, in a roasting pan and allow it to come to room temperature. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook beef for 30 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into meat (away from bone) registers 115 to 120 degrees (for rare), about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes longer. Let rest 20 minutes.
- Slice meat away from ribs, cutting along the bones. Then, slice meat crosswise to desired thickness. Serve, garnished with whole sage leaves.
Enjoy this dish!