I Took the 30-Day Plank Challenge and Here’s What Happened
The challenge is to maintain the same posture for a certain time period — 20 seconds on the first day, up to 5 minutes on day 30.
Journalist Leah Wynalek decided to test the effectiveness of the challenge. Leah is not a sedentary person, so she thought it would be an easy test. “I was overconfident. When I did them right, my core quaked, and I’d look desperately at the timer on my phone as it counted down to zero,“ she confessed.
”My abs strengthened. I didn’t quite realize it until the final week when my plank hold felt considerably easier than during week one. Though I didn’t see a difference, I could feel it.“
But that was not the only change. “I felt all the tension accumulated by sitting at my desk was gone. I was surprised with the energy I felt after a short period of exercise,” she said.
Leah Wynalek taking a plank break at work.
If you include this exercise in your daily routine, you will get more benefits:
- You will gain strength.
- You will improve your posture.
- It will stimulate your metabolism.
- You will work several muscle groups.
- It will help prevent injury.
Consider the following if you decide to take the challenge:
- Maintaining proper posture is essential to avoid injury.
- Just because it is an isometric exercise, it should not be considered simple or risk free.
- People who are overweight or have heart or back problems should consult a physician before taking up the challenge.